Sunday, March 27, 2011

elevator adventures

Elevators are weird. They're like boxes... that you get in... and then they move you. I dunno, does anyone else think that's weird? I think they're just really.... weird. 
Also, I always check for creepers before I get into an elevator. Just in case. 
I don't usually ride them. Unless I don't feel like taking the stairs that day. Which is usually the case if it's more than one flight. I don't like to get out of breath and sweaty when I could just ride up in a convenient metal box.
Anyways, normally I am alone in the elevator. But sometimes, I am not. And those are the times where my heart just stops whenever the elevator makes a noise - because how awkward would it be to be trapped in an elevator with a stranger? What are you supposed to do? Make awkward conversation? I am terrible at small talk. By myself, I would just text someone. But if someone else were there I would feel rude... and uncertain. 
And awkward.


I once rode an elevator with a couple that was clearly in love. That would have been awkward, had the elevator become stuck.

Even worse, I once rode an elevator with my professor... of the class I was going to. I grabbed the New York Times and pretended to read it but she still insisted on talking to me. She was being polite; I couldn't think of things to say. There was a bump along the way and I almost died of fear that I would be trapped inside with my professor for hours. How terrible would that have been. And then I awkwardly walked the wrong way to class and took the long way around and she gave me a weird look and said "I wondered where you were going....." when I finally arrived at class.

And then of course I once rode an elevator with like my best friend here but I didn't recognize her until we were already both inside and I didn't know what to do because I had never seen her at school before so I just creepily stared into the back of her skull, hoping she would feel my unbending gaze and the weight of my presence, then turn around and take control of the situtation.
She did.
"Oh! ...what are you doing here?"
~awkward conversation making in the elevator~
"Okay well... bye!"
~awkward laughter~
we never speak of it again.
good times in the elevator.

But it doesn't always have to be awkward. Alison and I have this fantasy that someday we {individually} will get into an elevator and be joined by a cute boy. With a guitar on his back. And then the elevator will get stuck... and while we were stuck we will get to talking, and then this nice boy will sing to me. and we will tell jokes and he'll think I'm was funny and I'll think he's funny and we won't even want to be rescued. that's kind of what I'm hoping will happen to me someday.

It's a dream :)

1 comment:

  1. I love it! This is exactly how I feel. Except also the people in my building like to hatefully close the doors in your face so you can't get in then have to wait five minutes for the box to come back down.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...