Monday, January 17, 2011

why it's so hard t

"Normally, when a person tries to read or concentrate on a project or task, the amount of beta waves in the brain increase. 
beta waves
These are the fastest waves in the brain and help keep a person attentive.
A person with ADHD who tries to concentrate produces slower theta waves, which have the opposite effect."
theta waves

So telling a person with ADHD to "concentrate harder" is really going to have the opposite effect; sitting down and "focusing" is going to make them more antsy and distracted. They'll need to learn other ways of producing beta waves. 

I don't know if I have ADHD; without any formal training or real knowledge, I'm inclined to believe that a lot of people have it to some degree. This quote intrigued me because sometimes I feel like the more I try to concentrate, the more difficult it becomes. Maybe it has something to do with brain waves!

in.ter.es.ting.

:)

3 comments:

  1. That's an interesting post. It makes sense if you think about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew I wasn't crazy! maybe it has to do with growing up in a big family but i have always said I study better and am more productive with a distraction. (But more than one distraction and I get overwhelmed)

    ReplyDelete
  3. same! totally the same :) I can't study unless my roommates are home to distract me haha :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...