Friday, March 4, 2011

did you hear about...?

This is a snippet of an instant messaging conversation between myself and my {non-BYU, not-yet-mormon, well-beloved} friend. I'm the one with poor capitalization habits. Cut me some slack; it was Facebook chat.

//

did you hear about brandon davies?
{byu basketball player}

Nah

oh
well he got kicked off the team for breaking the honor code
and i feel bad for him.

What'd he do? 

sex

... 
Why do you feel bad?

did you know 7/10 americans have lost their virginity by age 19?
i feel bad because everyone's talking about it.
it must be embarrassing to have everyone talk about your mistakes.

Everyone should certainly forgive him once he shows clear signs of repentance.
Dyou know the ted haggard story?

there's nothing for me to forgive him for haha.
no, i don't.

//

And then we moved on to other things. Specifically: Ted Haggard, forgiveness, decisions, agency, control, love/hate, the Wicked soundtrack, our mutual love for wearing pajamas, LDS temples, bibical name meanings, nonsensical words and sentences, menstrual cramps and what boys have that is comparable, the future, French grammar, and bedtimes and wakeup times. We interspersed a few insults for good measure, and said goodnight. Clearly we're very intellectual creatures :) 

If you want to know my opinion about Brandon Davies and the BYU Honor Code... here it is.

I'm not too concerned with BYU basketball. I like us to win. I like Jimmer. I'm not obsessed. I don't go to the games. I didn't even know who Brandon Davies was until my roommate asked if I had heard about it. A lot of people are talking about how ridiculous BYU's Honor Code is, but that's not the issue here. Brandon Davies, along with every other student at BYU, promised to keep it. And we're all made aware that if we don't keep it, there will be consequences. Student-athletes shouldn't be treated anymore leniently or harshly than any other student. It shouldn't be about public appearances, good or bad - it should be about the individual and their situation. Every student signed it, every student should keep it or leave. Fundamentally it's about promising to do something, and dealing with the consequences of our choices. To anyone who doesn't like our Honor Code, you don't have to come here. No one does. Stop hating on Mormons. I like it here. I like that I don't have to worry about my roommates drinking or partying or bringing boys home. And no, it's not ridiculous to expect us to abstain from sex, drugs, and alcohol. Most people actually do keep it. Deal with our high moral standards. I think it makes us a better school; I know it makes me a better student :)
And leave poor Brandon alone. He messed up. We all do. Stop talking about it so much. Judge not that ye be not judged, and let him who is without sin among you cast the first stone. :)


Judge not, that ye be not judged,
Was the counsel Jesus gave; 
Measure given, large or grudged, 
Just the same you must receive. 
... 
Charity and love are healing; 
These will give the clearest sight; 
When I saw my brother’s failing, 
I was not exactly right. 
Now I’ll take no further trouble; 
Jesus’ love is all my theme; 
Little motes are but a bubble 
When I think upon the beam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...