Thursday, April 21, 2011

keystone

A keystone is that nifty little piece of rock that holds an arch together. It takes the weight, and without it the arch would fall apart.


Jospeh Smith said, "the Book of Mormon is... the keystone of our religion." And I believe that to be true. But do I treat it that way? Am I willing to test it out, see if it can take the weight? I was talking to my dad today and he said, "Bring your questions! Bring your hardest questions - the truth can handle it." It's so true! 


One thing that has always helped me in my faith is to never abandon what I do know for what I don't. C.S. Lewis said, "Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason has once accepted, in spite of your changing moods." I have definitely found this to be true. And one of the things that I know to be true is the Book of Mormon.


When my friend first starting looking into my church again, he asked some really hard questions and had some pretty deep concerns. I encouraged him to read the Book of Mormon, and I asked him to keep reading and praying about it. I promised him that if he would, he would receive an answer.


How scary is that! To make a promise that big. To place everything that matters to me on a tiny little book only 531 pages long. It was a test of my faith - did I really know the Book of Mormon was true? Was I really certain that he would receive a witness of his truthfulness? Could it handle the kinds of issues he was dealing with, the questions he had? Yes. I chose faith and made a promise. Because it's a promise that the Lord has already made - and He always keeps His promises. I had to trust in Him and really make my faith active. Because the book is either true, or it isn't, and if it is true then my friend would receive a witness. And it is true. There is a power in the book that goes far beyond just the words on the page. 



My friend asked me if I was willing to bet not only my life, but his as well on the Church being true. Heavy stuff - but I was. And I still am. I do it every day. And every day, my testimony holds up to the fiercest challenges. What I'm not willing to do is risk my friend's life because I'm too lukewarm in my convictions.


And guess what. The Book of Mormon has stood up to the challenge over, and over, and over again. So I think it's time I really start treating the Book of Mormon like the strong keystone that it is. The truth can handle it!

This is an amazing video, taken from an amazing talk. If you don't want to watch or read it, here's just a quote:  
"Legions will die, and other legions live declaring in the four quarters of this earth that they know the Book of Mormon and the Church which espouses it to be true."
I am one of many who declare this truth. And I would invite anyone else who wants to know it also to come and see for themselves. Test it out, try it out. This keystone will hold your weight.


From the introduction of the book itself: 

We invite all men everywhere to read the Book of Mormon, to ponder in their hearts the message it contains, and then to ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ if the book is true. Those who pursue this course and ask in faith will gain a testimony of its truth and divinity by the power of the Holy Ghost. (See Moroni 10:3–5.)
Those who gain this divine witness from the Holy Spirit will also come to know by the same power that Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world, that Joseph Smith is his revelator and prophet in these last days, and that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Lord’s kingdom once again established on the earth, preparatory to the second coming of the Messiah.
I know that this is true, and you can know it too - promise :)


xox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...