Monday, August 2, 2010

today i am sad.

With great joy comes great sorrow; with great love comes great pain.
I think that the greater the good times were, the worse the hard times will be. The happiness was worth it. It's just hard right now to remember. The inverse is true too though. With great sorrow comes great joy; with great pain comes great love. "There is a link between sorrow, affliction, and incomprehensible joy." ~Bruce C. Hafen. We can't have it good all the time, we don't learn from that. God whispers in our pleasures and shouts in our pain. ~C.S. Lewis 
I know all this stuff about hard times, like it's for my good, this too shall pass, etc. And I still have faith in that, I don't doubt God's hand in my life, but this knowledge doesn't change the fact that I am hurting right now. I'm looking for peace and solace. I'm trying to look for it in Christ. Happiness and peace cannot be found elsewhere. But maybe I just need to suffer through this a little bit. God won't take me out of the storm, but He will guide me safely through it. Pain breeds empathy, compassion, and experience. I need to learn and grow from this experience. Accept the pain, but don't let it overwhelm me or depress me. I can choose to be cheerful despite this. "Some days there won't be a song in your heart. Sing anyways." ~Emory Austin
It seems to me that as I get older my emotions get more powerful and poignant. My happiness greater than ever, but also my sadness. And I have a feeling it's only going to get more extreme as life goes on. But I shouldn't forget the great and wonderful joys that I've had! And they will continue to get greater! It's just hard to remember that and focus on that now. I know this won't last forever, I know greater happiness is coming, but right now I am hurting. It's so hard to see past right now.
I know my pain is minuscule compared to everything else. But it's still real to me. Christ knows perfectly how this feels. He understands. "And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind... and he will take upon him their infirmities, that His bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that He may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities." {Alma 7:11-12}
Because they cried mightily unto Him he did deliver them... and thus doth the Lord work with his power in all cases, extending the arm of mercy towards them that put their trust in Him. {Mosiah 29:20}
Cry unto the Lord for all thy support, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever. {Alma 37:36}
It's easy to love and trust during the easy times. It wouldn't be a test if it wasn't hard.
Cry unto the Lord thy God, for He is mighty to save. {Alma 34:18

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...