Saturday, January 15, 2011

of Jyana, understanding, and becoming One.

In Hindu belief, one of the ways to escape the eternal wheel of reincarnation is Salvation through the Way of Knowledge, or Jyana. This belief holds that an understanding of the reality that all things are One is the way to salvation.


In order to leave this wheel of perpetual reincarnation, one must understand that Brahman (the One Reality, the Universal Life, the World Soul) and Atman (the Individual Life, the Human Personality) are one and the same. Their scripture records an effort to describe what this means:


A father asks his son Shvetaketu to break open a fig, and then to break open one of the seeds inside. "What do you see there?" he asks. "Nothing at all, sir," his son replies. Then the father says to his son:
"Verily, my dear, that subtle essence which you do not perceive - from that very essence, indeed, my dear, does this great fig tree thus arise. Believe me, my dear, that which is the subtle essence - this whole world has that essence for its Self; that is the Real...; that is the Self; that (subtle essence) art thou, Shvetaketu." Chandogya Upanishad 6:12-14 
Kind of confusing. But I like it for that reason. It makes me think.



A person who is on this Path of Knowledge to salvation will seek a correct understanding of the ultimate reality within himself and within the universe. However,
"Understanding is more than than the mere intellectual grasp of a concept. Ultimately, to understand is to experience reality as it is." Palmer, Spencer J., et alReligions of the World: A Latter-day Saint View. Provo: Brigham Young U, 1997.
Thus, meditation is an important part of this spiritual pathway. Meditation is the effort to experience that Oneness with the Universe. I had always heard about being "One with the Universe," usually in a semi-joking manner, but now I have a better idea of what this means and how sacred it is.


Monism, or the belief that all things are one, is a fundamental concept of Jyana. It holds that,
"Ultimately, people themselves are only illusions, for they are no more than waves on the ocean of existence. They have no independent identity of their own; because of illusions born of the five senses, they only believe that they do. Until that illusion is broken and they understand their true identity, they will continue to be reborn. Brahman (the world spirit) is the ocean and Atman (the individual spirit) is the wave. Brahman is the reality that constitutes all things and Atman is merely the extension of that reality. Atman does not exist apart from Brahman, for they are one, just as the ocean and its wave are one." Palmer, Spencer J., et alReligions of the World: A Latter-day Saint View. Provo: Brigham Young U, 1997.
I just find this to be absolutely fascinating. I love learning about other cultures and religions and trying to gain my own understanding of them. Understanding breeds respect and peace. As Mother Teresa said, "To love and be loved, we must know our brothers and sisters, for knowledge always leads to love." :)


I can find similarities to Jyana in my own religion. In Christianity, Jesus prays,
"Holy Father, protect them [his disciples]... so that they may be one as we are one... I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us...I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one—I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity." (John 17:11, 20-23, NIV)  
While I don't believe that this will result in the eradication of human personality or identity, it is an interesting thought to ponder - being completely One with God. In a way, this is the goal of my religion - to have my thoughts, words, actions, and deeds be completely in line with God, so that what He wants, I want, and what He would do, I do. The difference, I think, is that I believe this will make me more myself, rather than a literal part of God, absolved of self, identity, or personality. To quote C.S. Lewis, 
"The more we get what we now call "ourselves" out of the way and let Him take over, the more truly ourselves we become... Our real selves are waiting for us in Him. It is no good trying to "be myself" without Him. ... There are no real personalities anywhere else. Until you have given up your self to Him you will not have a real self." C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity
Fascinating, just fascinating, to ponder the similarities and differences between religions, and to think about what I can gain from each. I love learning! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...