Friday, January 28, 2011

if there's one thing i've learned, it's that I have so much more to learn....

I am 19 years old. I go to a really great university with excellent professors and wonderful classes and I learn a lot of really great stuff. And the crazy thing is, the more I learn, the more I see how much more there is to learn. If that makes sense.

Sometimes when things are going really well, or when I feel like I've grasped a certain concept, I get this attitude like, "Wow, this is great! I have now Learned. I am now Mature. I Understand. I'm practically Finished, like, 60 years ahead of schedule! Must be because I'm part of that chosen generation."

And I think God must really think this is hilarious! I think He sort of laughs and says, "Oh honey. You're nineteen. You're a freshman. You might think you're an Adult, but you are still My Child, and I have so much more in store for you."

And then in His infinite love and wisdom something happens to put me back in my place. To humiliate me, literally! to make me humble. And He shows me how infinitely more there is for me to learn, and how far I have to go.

That's how life is I guess. We learn line upon line, precept upon precept. I have all these thoughts today, and experiences are going to happen tomorrow that will change me and teach me more, and they'll build on each other, and I'm never done! There is always more for me to learn. That's the beautiful thing about it :)

Life is a process of becoming, a combination of states we have to go through. 
Where people fail is that they wish to elect a state and remain in it. 
This is a kind of death. ~Anaïs Nin

2 comments:

  1. So true. I'm not that far ahead of you in age...at least I try to think I'm not (aproaching 30 this year, yikes!). I still have so much to learn. I love how progressive our relationship can be with our Heavenly Father if we choose to learn more about Him. The more I learn, the more humble I become as there is so much more I can learn. It's overwhelming and inspiring at the same time. You are such a beautiful and smart woman. I am so excited to see you grow up and learn more about life. For isn't that why we are here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I'll be twenty!! yikes-a-DAISY. :) :)
    I love what you said! I totally agree :) Progression is key. It's what gives me hope when I think, "Wow, I suck! I'm so far from where I want to be/where I should be!" I remember that it's all about progression :)
    You perfectly put what I've been thinking :)

    That's exactly why we're here! Thank you :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...