Monday, March 11, 2013

11 March 2013


 

Notice

Date: February 27, 2012

To: General Authorities, Area Seventies, and Mission

Presidents

From: Missionary Department (801-240-2222)

Subject: Adjusted Missionary Email Policy

Missionaries are to write to their families each week and are also authorized to communicate

by email with friends, priesthood leaders, and new converts. Mission presidents should allow

sufficient time on preparation day for missionaries to write emails and letters. While in the

mission field, missionaries should receive authorization from the mission president before

entering into communication, including via email, with converts and others of the opposite gender within the mission boundaries (see Missionary Handbook, 36–37).

:) can you pass the word on? :)

 

Oh I wanted to tell you - we had an experience with a potential investigator family calling us and asking us for financial help that was really crazy and intense..... it's hard to not be able to just give people money, but it really strengthened my testimony of the order of the church and how everyone has a stewardship and doing things in the Lord's way is really the best... we were able to get in contact with the Bishop of the other ward actually, who has stewardship over church welfare for transient people (they live in a motel right now) and he taught us what we should do, and this family (that we still haven't met face to face...) were able to get a ride to church, stay for all 3 hours, meet with the Bishop's counselor, recieve copies of the Book of Mormon, and now we have an appointment with them for next Wednesday! so who knows how it's all going to shake out, it was really really stressful & all the responsibility gave me a lot of anxiety haha, but it definitely strengthened my testimony of the order of the Church and in doing things the Lord's way :)

Being a missionary is like being a spy because we drive around to all these houses and try to discover if they're home and take notes and memorize addresses and write down everything that happens with people and report back to the ward council and it's just really fun and spy-like hahaha i love it :)

Yep we reset the trap and caught another mouse.... ew. horrible. we reset it again and now we're hoping we didn't catch a mommy and daddy mouse that have baby mice somewhere.... ew, yuck. the people here say it happens a lot during the cold weather, little critters get inside. ew, yuck!

yeah I've been noticing that theme in other Book of Mormon scriptures I've been reading - the world is rocky and shakey and we need to stand in holy places so that we will not be moved! hmm I like that too, that the philosophies of man are shakey but true doctrine is firm :)


Last conference was SO SO good, i just can't wait for the upcoming one, it's going to blow us away I feel haha

The Atonement is.... incredible. This story http://www.lds.org/ensign/2013/03/you-are-free?lang=eng from this months Ensign is incredible... this part blew me away

"Years ago I presided in a Church disciplinary council. The man whose sins were the subject of the council sat before us and related something of his history. His sins were indeed serious, but he had also been terribly sinned against. As we considered the matter, my soul was troubled, and I asked to be excused to think and pray about it alone before rejoining the council.

I was standing in front of a chair in my office pleading with the Lord to help me understand how such evil could have been perpetrated. I did not see but rather sensed an immense pit with a covering over it. One corner of the covering was lifted slightly for just an instant, and I perceived within the pit the depth and vastness of the evil that exists in this world. It was greater than I could really comprehend. I was overcome. I collapsed into the chair behind me. The experience seemed to take my breath away. I cried silently, “How can we ever hope to overcome such evil? How can we survive something so dark and overwhelming?”

In that moment there came to my mind this phrase: “Be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33). Seldom have I felt such peace juxtaposed with the reality of evil. I felt a deeper appreciation for the intensity of the Savior’s suffering and had a better, even frightening, appreciation for the depth of what He had to overcome. I felt peace for the man who was before us for judgment, knowing he had a Redeemer, whose grace was sufficient to cleanse him and also repair the injustices he had suffered. I knew better that good will triumph because of Jesus Christ, whereas without Him we would have no chance. I felt peace, and it was very sweet."

The depth and the breadth of the Atonement are incomprehensible... and real. :)

fun to have Sisters in the stake! Any more on the way? :)

It's starting to feel like spring here too! it's been above freezing for the past few days haha :) lots of melting snow/ice, rain, birds singing... it's fun :) still tons of snow though!!

xoxox

Sister Proffit :) :)

well, well, well... another week down already!! crazy!!

Yesterday was a great Sabbath day... we got to attend Ward Council at 7am! which was really 6am! which was really early! haha but it was so so great, we watched segments from the Worldwide Leadership Training... have you watched that yet? it's super good! There was a great discussion in the Ward Council and the Spirit was very strong. We have a great, amazing Bishop in this ward. He's pretty young & travels a lot for work, but also does SO so much for this ward, AND he's funny & real :) He and his wife have SIX DAUGHTERS 10 & under, the baby is only a few months old. Such a great family; we're having dinner there tonight. Bishop was talking in Ward Council about his struggles in prioritizing God/family/employment/church, and he told a really touching story about having one-on-one time with L****, the 6 year old, and how instead of going to Chuck-e-cheese or something, they went to visit L R***, a elderly sister in the ward who is returning to activity and has just found out that she has congestive heart failure and probably only a few weeks left to live. On the drive out there (she lives in New London... like a 20-30 minute drive from Appleton), L**** colored a picture for her, and then they visited with Sister R*** for a while, and on the drive back L said "Dad, that wasn't even hard! that was fun!" (they have a club called the "hard things club"... not sure the details but i'll use my spy skills to find out) ;) It was really neat and a great example I think of this Bishop balancing and uniting his duty to God, family, & the Church. It's a privilege to be able to work so closely with such an amazing Bishop & Ward Council. We also went and visited Sister R*** and her granddaughter A***** this week... it's neat to be able to feel the peace in their home that comes because they know what comes next... it doesn't feel fearful or stressful, just very very peaceful. We had a very nice discussion about Alma 40:11-12 and what it means to be welcomed HOME. :) :) I love that.

Sacrament meeting was great as well, it was a Hmong missionary's homecoming! His mother spoke first, she bore her testimony in Hmong and one of the Hmong elders translated, which was cool. Then I spoke... I talked about a letter that Gramma Proffit had sent me that talked about how when they were living in Japan Dad and Uncle Robert were kind of obnoxious (imagine that..... ;) haha) and the Primary President came to their house and told Gramma that her kids were out of control and that the whole ward was concerned about how she was raising them etc etc - and Gramma wrote in the letter that that was the closet she had ever come to never going back to church. And when I read that it hit me so hard how grateful I am for the gospel of Jesus Christ - I never knew how close I came to not having it! I never knew how close I came to NOT having all these blessings in my life - being on a mission, being endowed in the temple, having an eternal family, a knowledge of the reality of God and Jesus Christ, the Book of Mormon... all of that was almost not a part of my life. O.o. So I bore my testimony of how grateful I am for the small decisions that have brought me here to Wisconsin, decisions by Gramma to keep going to church, by Dad to gain a testimony of Jesus Christ & His Atonement, to serve a mission, by Mom to grow up in righteousness and love the Lord, for Mom & Dad to be sealed in the temple and honor the covenants they made there, and on and on and on... all the "small and simple" decisions that had led me to be right where I was - in a chapel of the Lord's church, in Appleton Wisconsin, as a full-time missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, at 9:15 which was really 8:15. :) and I invited the congregation to think about the small decisions that had led them to be there as well. And I just bore my testimony of my gratitude for the gospel of Jesus Christ... and I might have almost cried...... and then I talked about how sometimes the joy of the gospel fades, but we're not the only people who have felt that way - last conference, Sister Dibb (President Monson's daughter!) talked about how "At different times in our lives... we may find that this vibrant enthusiasm has faded. Sometimes this happens when times are challenging and we must practice patience. Sometimes it happens at the peak of our prosperity and abundance. Whenever I have this feeling, I know I need to refocus my efforts on increasing my gospel knowledge and living gospel principles more fully in my life." and then I quoted parts of Elder Ballard talk "Bee Anxiously Engaged" {I always call it that cause it's about bees.... ha ha ha ;)} about how if we want to ingrain the love of God more fully in our hearts, we need to pray daily to be able to recognize opportunities to serve just one of God's precious children. and there's some nice apostolic promises in that talk that I shared too :) It went really well, which I was so grateful for because it was kind of a stressful week haha and I didn't feel really particularly prepared or inspiried and I didn't want to waste this opportunity to speak, and I'd been praying about what I could share with the Appleton 1st ward and nothing was really coming and it was stressful, but Saturday night I thought of Gramma's letter, and I'd already been thinking of Elder Ballard's talk, and Sunday during Ward Council the Spirit was very strong which helped me to know what to say... so I didn't have any notes written down, I just brought my Book of Mormon & my conference Ensign to the stand and bore my testimony. and I felt the Spirit, if no one else did haha. So that was a really great tender mercy this week :) and of course people did come up and say they appreciated what I said... which is always nice haha. So thank you Gramma! & all my grandparents, and mom and dad, for the choices you've made that have led me to be here now :) I'll never stop being grateful for you <3

And then the returning missionary spoke about the Atonement, which was lovely. He went to Minnesota on his mission hahaha he said "when I opened my call, I thought the prophet had sent me to the wrong mission!" (Minnesota is right next to Wisconsin... in case you didn't know :) ) But he loved his mission and said how grateful he was to have joined the church with his family. Hmong people really give up and sacrifice a lot to become members of the church... they have a very strong shaman tradition and a lot of them have never heard of Jesus Christ, and there's a lot of pressure to preserve their heritage since there aren't very many Hmong people and they've been through so much as a culture... lots of pressure not to become Christian. and there are so few of them it's hard to feel like you're a part of the ward. but they do, and they are, and it's awesome :)

This ward is so amazing and I feel so blessed to be able to work here and that I need to work extra super hard to deserve them!! they're so excited to share the gospel and so willing to help us in any way... the M*****'s even dropped off cookies at our house the other night while we were out haha and their little kids (B, N, and J!) made us cards that we hung on the fridge. So sweet :) We also had dinner with the Kings last night and they are AMAZING - he's the Ward Mission Leader, he's like 30 and she's maybe 27? they have the cutest little kids, K****** (5 almost 6) LOVES Primary and Jesus and her testimony, and they just have such a gospel-sharing home and a love for each other and the gospel. they're an amazing example to me :) :)

In other news... we drove past another Christian church and I read their little marquee or whatever -- "Jesus paid the price. You keep the change." :) I liked that :)

In other other news.... can I get Alison Ayubi's address? and Jaci Cummings'? and Ren's emails? :) and if you're ever looking for stuff to send me........ I LOVE reading the Ensign every month; sometimes I wish I got the New Era too! (hint, hint... hahaha). also music is always great :) the guidelines are in the missionary handbook... has to be consistant with my sacred calling, invite the Spirit, help me focus on the work, and direct my thoughts and feelings to the Savior. :) efy cds and stuff like that are great, contemporary Christian music..... the Prince of Egypt soundtrack?? haha anyways......... I just like music :) it's fun to listen to while we exercise or get ready in the morning or whatever. and it can be really powerful to invite the Spirit when we're having a frustrating day or just need to feel of God's love a little more. and who DOESN'T need to feel that? haha :)

Well that's pretty much it for this week... the other day Sister R*** & I were singing and I thought to myself, "is it more important for me to sing this right, or for us to sing it together?" and that's pretty much been the theme of things haha. it's working out pretty well :) thanks for your prayers -- please keep them coming!! :)

alsooooooo I'm allowed to email friends now! So you can give out my mission email address and people can email me if they want :) which will be really nice...... however I also LOVE getting mail and sometimes we plan lunch for around 2:30 so that we can be home and stalk the mailman........ yes. we stalk the mailman haha we love mail!!! so... all of the above are great haha :) i love mail! and email is also great and easy and cheap :) :) so. all of the above. hooray! :)

hey I missed getting the Book of Mormon sharing report this week! :) I'm still reading a page of the Book of Mormon every day... I read it once, then read it again looking up all the footnotes, then read it and mark it, then read it again. It's fun haha and I'm getting a LOT out of it. I'm getting such a greater understanding than I ever have before! especially of how the Book of Mormon connects, and ESPECIALLY of how it goes hand-in-hand with the Bible :) it's awesome! :) i get a way better understanding than before when I would just breeze right through it. This morning I was reading Jacob 1:4-8 and it hit how Jacob and Nephi and all of them knew what was going to happen to their descendants, and that's why they knew how important writing the Book of Mormon was! they knew it was going to play a KEY role in gathering scattered Israel & convincing everyone - Jew & Gentile - that Jesus is the Christ!! 2 Ne 25:23, 26; 1 Ne 6:4; 2 Ne. 15:17; 2 Ne 26:12; 1 Ne. 13:35-36, 39-40; 1 Ne. 15:13-14, etc etc etc :) :) it's awesome. :) So that's been fun...

What are you all learning from your scripture study these days? The other day Sister R*** and I read the entire book of Revelation during the "get-ready-for-bed" time... haha. It's actually pretty great. lots of good stuff in there :)

So that's been the week! I hope to hear from you all soon!! I miss you tons and love you so so much -- you're such good examples to me and I'm so glad we're a family :) love you so so much!!!!! I hope school's going well and all that :)

love, love, love

Sister Cece Proffit :) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...