Monday, September 26, 2011

a fourth-watch God

today in new testament we talked about how we have a fourth-watch God and we have an immediate God. meaning, sometimes God lets us struggle until the "fourth-watch," or last possible moment, before He comes to us. Why? Well we don't always know God's purposes {though we know they are wise}, but one reason I think comes from The Screwtape Letters, by C.S. Lewis: 
"It is during such trough periods, much more than during the peak periods, that it is growing into the sort of creature He wants it to be... He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand."
God has to let us struggle, because by struggling we grow. If He always rushed in and saved us the moment we needed help, we could never become who we need to become. So, in His infinite mercy and wisdom, sometimes he let's us be "tossed with the waves," so to speak, and comes to us in what seems the very last possible moment.

This has happened to me many times in my own life. Sometimes God makes me wait what feels like a very long time {though really it's usually only a few days.......} before I feel better about things. Most recently, I was upset and stressed about school and personal life, and it seemed to be dragging on forever. I made it to the Relief Society Broadcast however, and it was just exactly what I needed to hear, and I felt at peace with the situation and loved by God. So perfect.

Sometimes, though, our God is an immediate God. He knows when to step in and rescue us immediately {and it's not up to us to tell Him which situation is which.} :) These situations can also be incredibly faith-strengthening. Not even two hours after the Broadcast ended, I got a text that again put my mind at ease. The situation isn't perfectly resolved, but I'm confident that we're back on the right path.

These personal examples don't exactly go along with the principle Brother Smith was talking about, but I wanted to record them and be thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who answers prayers in His own perfect timing, who loves me enough to let me struggle and grow, and who will never abandon me or let me drown. :)

xox, happy monday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...