Thursday, September 16, 2010

i can save a life

Giving blood is at once the coolest and most terrifying thing of my life. Part of me insists that my blood should stay inside my body where it belongs, and that it’s too painful, and that someone else can give blood today because I’m too scared*

But at the same time, I can’t deny that giving blood is probably the only time I will ever have the opportunity to save a life, ever. And it’s so easy! Admittedly not pain-free, but since when is anything worth doing done without some sacrifice? Compared to rescuing someone from a burning building or pushing someone out of the way of a speeding vehicle, giving blood is really. easy. And it saves lives, just the same. 

(Side-note: I wear my arm bandage like it's a badge of courage and honor. Maybe making too big of a deal of out it, but hey. It was scary for me.) 


And while I may not have that many opportunities to perform CPR or the Heimlich maneuver on someone, I can give blood every eight weeks. It only costs me a little bit of time, and a tiny bit of pain. And really, I can handle that. For next-to-nothing, I get to feel sort of like a hero.  I can feel like maybe my existence on earth made someone else’s existence a little bit better. I can do my part to contribute to the general well-being of mankind. I may not be a firefighter or a nurse or a doctor, but I can do this one thing. 




At least that’s what I tell myself, as I sit nervously in the hard plastic waiting chair.

The cookies and juice help a lot too. Yummy.


*Reading through the list of things that can disqualify a person from donating made me realize that not just everyone can give blood. Actually only about 38% of Americans are eligible to donate - and less than 10% do. One more reason I’m glad I’ve lived the life I have, and what a good reason to keep living it. 
:) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...