Saturday, July 24, 2010

Be Still, My Soul

Be still, my soul, the Lord is on thy side. With patience bear thy cross of grief or pain. Leave to thy God to order and provide. In every change, He faithful will remain. Be still my soul, thy best, thy Heavenly Friend, through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Christ should be my best friend because he's the only one I can really count on to be with me throughout my entire life. He's a real person, why wouldn't I have that kind of relationship with Him? Other people will come and go, I grow close to friends and then we grow apart, people move, people change, life happens. Jesus is the only one I can count on to always be there with me every step of the way. He knows me better than anyone and yet he still loves me infinitely more than anyone ever could. He is perfect. He understands exactly what I'm going through. I need to turn to Him in times of need, the same way I turn to my human best friends. I need to nurture the relationship, to put as much effort and investment into it as into my earthly friendships. Relationships cannot exist one-sided. One person can't be expected to give and give and give into the relationship. It has to be two-way. Mutual loving. I don't have to give equal to what He is giving, but it has to be my all, 100%, because that is what He is giving me. Christ is perfectly loving and forgiving and understanding. He wants me to rely on him, to turn to Him when other sources fail me. Perhaps that's why other sources have failed. So that I will be forced to turn to Him. He loves me. And I know that he will always love me. I can trust him with my life, because he gave His life for me. I belong to Him. I want to belong to Him. He offers salvation to his friends. "Greater love hath no man than this - that a man lay down his life for his friends. Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you." {John 15:13-14}

Good friends talk often. {Every day at least.} They consult each other. And not just when it's convenient for them or when they need something. They want to talk to each other.
Good friends do things for each other out of love. They sacrifice for each other.
Good friends listen, and they care.
Good friends do things together. They like to spend time together, doesn't matter where.
Good friends say "I love you," and mean it.
Good friends defend and protect each other.
Good friends put each other first.
Good friends express appreciation.

Be still my soul: Thy God doth undertake to guide the future as he has the past. Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake; All now mysterious shall be bright at last. Be still, my soul, The waves and winds still know His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.
God is in control. He's got it. He rules over over the universe. All things are within his power. He will take care of me. He has a plan for me.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on when we shall be forever with the Lord, when disappointment, grief and fear are gone, sorrow forgot, love's purest joys restored. Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past, all safe and blessed we shall meet at last :)
Everything has a purpose. He knows me. He is aware of me. He has a plan for me. He will not abandon my. My God is faithful.

Jesus gave His life for me. Shouldn't I return the favor?

He paid the highest price for me, and still He tells me I am free.

"I love you this much."

He is truly my Redeemer, my Savior, and my God.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...