Saturday, October 18, 2014

language

sometimes, someone says something, usually off-hand, & it sticks with me & i can't stop thinking about it for days 

this happened the other day in my american studies class {which i  ♥, btw}. the professor neglected to say a certain word & explained it this way ~ 
"I don't like to use that word - not because it's a "swear" word per se but because it implies there's something wrong with people who, through no fault of their own, were born out of wedlock." 
& then we moved on.

but it got me thinking. 

of all the swear words i know [which, admittedly, is not many... #mormon], how many have inherently negative meanings?

yes, i know i know that words have different meanings for different people & that you don't MEAN it that way & all that, but i also believe that words have a more powerful effect than we realize, both on the humans we're talking to and on our own selves/psyche

so if we use a word that means "child of unmarried parents" as an insult, what does that say about how we view those people? what effect does that have on our own thoughts & feelings?

i have an issue with the word that means female dog, since it's applied almost exclusively to women, & even when directed at men it carries an inherantly female tone.... as if there's something wrong with being a woman? that makes it a good insult??


side-note this video is great side-note you should watch it side-note there is a swear

etc etc. i won't entertain you with other curse words & their meanings. i'm sure you already know & if you don't then bless your soul :)

ANYWAYS. i ~do not~ believe there is anything magically "bad" about "swear words." there's such a weird gradient there anyways, like which-word-is-worse-than-which-word. 


HOW ABOUT THIS.

for my personal philosophy, i have chosen to follow these two verses:



meaning

i want my language to reflect my mind & soul

& i want my mind & soul to reflect my language

so, i'm choosing to use my language to 
uplift
& edify
& minister grace
{at least i'm trying to}

& for me, that means i don't swear
i don't cuss

& i ALSO

don't use words that put people down. words that carry sexist/racist/ostracizing/shaming meaning.

& i ALSO 

try to speak kindly
& positively
& build up the things i love 

instead of tearing down in hate

I want to view people (& myself) the way God does. 
So I'm trying to think & speak about people (& myself) the way God would.

obviously, i am working on it. :)
i am not perfect,
but i am trying :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...